Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Teleferiqo

Being the capital city, some parts of Quito can be pretty touristy. Since I am actually living here longish term, it is difficult for me to feel like a tourist (compared to short term trips I’ve taken in the past where there has always been at least one or two touristy days outside of the work I was there to do). Souvenir shopping for instance, I haven’t really felt the need to engage in. But then there are opportunities to hike mountains or visit areas or both that I am more than happy to oblige in. One such place is situated near the historic district of Quito high above the entire city called the Teliferiquo. You have to take a taxi to get to it (rather than the typical bus system) and then climb a few steep flights of stairs to get to the center. Once you’re there, you ride a sky bucket (or gondola according to my Midwestern friends) up to the almost top of this mountain. From there they have a few amazing lookout points, a couple souvenir shops, a couple coffee shops (with some of the best hot chocolate I’ve ever had), a chapel, and then a few trails with the option to hike Guagua Pichincha (“Baby Pichincha”, the “smaller” mountain) or regular Pichincha (for the more adventurous…or owners of hiking boots; the latter of which I am not). I went with Shelley, one of my closest friends here, and once we got off the sky bucket, we decided to do a bit of exploring and try our legs on the guagua. After my adventures with Ilalo, I was a bit hesitant but seeing that we’re about the same speed and level, I figured I would try to tackle it with her. It was so much fun!! We almost made it to the top but decided to save the last little bit for another day. Also, there is a horseback riding option for those who would rather have something else do the work for them. This I would love to try if I get a chance to go back in the future (I mean, it is in my “backyard” after all). So heads up, if you come for a visit, we might be makin a trek! ;) After we finished our little adventure, we took the buckets back down, visited a cute little craft shop, and realized we were only a few minutes from one of my favorite spots in the city: CafĂ© Mosaico! I couldn’t wait to share the goodness with her and she enjoyed this lovely little Greek secret just as much as I did. Here are a few (maybe several) pictures from our day:

 
Overlooking Quito before even getting on the gondola

 
Shelley!!
 
In the bucket. It's a good thing I'm not afraid of heights!


They had bike racks on the backs of some of the gondolas for the more adventurous/fit/not me
 


Gorgeous day for hiking!



 
Horses were an option too

Mountain ponies!


 
How far we've come

How long we still have to go :/
 

 



 
Did it (mostly)!

Next time!

Gettin artsy

They had these little welcome "signs" in the grass on the way up and down

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment